<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 28, 2005

Hunting ban stands at first hurdle

BBC article

The expected result of this first challenge to the Hunting Ban. It will of course be repealed, and an injunction sought staying the law for the legal proceedings. I believe the government has said that it will not contest that injuction, but the anti-Hunting groups will do.

It is highly likely that the constitutional challenge of this route will fail, I suspect at least partly because of the political consequences of any court actually overturning the Parliament Act, and I can't believe that won't be a factor in judges' minds. From the little I know I think the challenge is probably also pretty weak on legal grounds, but I'm no lawyer after all.

Next week I think proceedings begin challenging the ban on human rights grounds. I have heard that there is a third legal avenue being explored, but if so I don't know what it is.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?