<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 06, 2004

Review: The Ethos Effect by L E Modesitt Jr

Well there I was in the bookstore Friday evening, and noticed a new book my one of my favourite writers. Naturally I bought.

The Ethos Effect is pretty much classic Modesitt. That is, deep down it is hardly original, but rather another variation on a well-established theme. It is set in the same universe as The Parafaith war, about 300 years later. The story itself is pretty much the standard foray into the ethics of large-scale destruction, and the costs of waiting, and personal responsibility. Highly readable and enjoyable, this was a very comfortable read.

There are some more hints onto the wider history that Modesitt appears to be constructing - for the first time that I recall there was a definite link at one point to the universe in the Ecolitan books, and this universe has clearly links to the Ghost books and Gravity Dreams - which also means links (probably) to the entire Recluce saga, albeit tenuously. I'm not at all certain that Modesitt actually has a well-worked out system behind this, but its interesting all the same.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea. I rather like Modesitt, but various others don't. If you've never read any of his work before I'd recommend you start with one of The Magic of Recluce (the first book in the Recluce Saga), Archform: Beauty, or Legacies. The last two are more recent.

The Ethos Effect: amazon link.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?