<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Poppies

Well, I have now bought my poppy for this year. Usually I average about 3 poppies a year because they keep getting lost. I hope this year will be difference since I am on holiday, and there will be less chance for damage and so on.

What do I mean though by poppies, and indeed, what is the whole thing about? This is not buying a real poppy flower, just a little plastic and coardboard thing. We were them in the run-up to Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday, the proceeds go to the The Royal British Legion who provide support to members of the Armed Forces and their dependants.

Of course, the signifigance of the poppy are the fields of Flanders in World War 1. The importance of remembrance is eternal. Since 1945 there has only been one year - 1963 I think - when no British serviceman or woman died in the line of duty. It is one of my fondest memories from school (I was 14) when I disrupted a lesson when someone said that they didn't see the point of buying a poppy, that it all happened a long time ago and didn't matter anymore.

It matters.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?