<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Tasteless or just despicable?

I thought about linking to this utterly vile post from James Wolcott, via Instapundit, Tim Blair, and the Right Coast, for a while. But I finally decided I had to. I can't quite believe anyone human would write these words, given recent events:

I root for hurricanes. When, courtesy of the Weather Channel, I see one forming in the ocean off the coast of Africa, I find myself longing for it to become big and strong--Mother Nature's fist of fury, Gaia's stern rebuke. Considering the havoc mankind has wreaked upon nature with deforesting, stripmining, and the destruction of animal habitat, it only seems fair that nature get some of its own back and teach us that there are forces greater than our own.

I can't quite decide if this is real, or a tasteless attempt at humour by someone who seriously needs their head examined. If James Wolcott really thinks this then, quite frankly, I think the good folks of Florida have every right to lynch him. If this is an attempt at humour it means he is desperately sick, and needs to get himself committed to an asylum somewhere.

True, hurricanes are potent symbols, vivid reminders of nature in all its terrible majesty. But to long for human misery on the scale that Charley and Frances have wreaked on America and elsewhere in the Carribean, and the misery that Ivan is wreaking at this moment, is a declaration of one's own inhumanity.

I think Tom Smith from The Right Coast has it best

James, your penance is to go to Florida and help some people, whose feet you are not worthy to lick, clean up what remains of their lives, and then spend a week thinking of 100 ways to be less disgusting. And keep your next shameful admission to yourself.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?