<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 06, 2004

A culinary success

I am not very accomplished in the kitchen. Man might not be able to live on bread alone, but I can make a pretty good attempt at bread and bacon. Throw in some fruit and a never-ending supply of tea and I'll probably become convinced that I'm in heaven.

Nonetheless, I try. For the past few months I have been trying to make Toad in the Hole. Inasmuch as anything does I'd guess this would qualify as British cuisine.

The first two times I tried this regular feature of my parents' cooking were, shall we say, less than successful. Toad in the Hole is basically a bunch of sausages cooked in Yorkshire batter. My problem was that the batter did not set properly.

I was relating all this to Waddling Thunder some time, and when he came to visit me he went through what I was doing. In fact we made it together (well, he made it, I watched). And it worked.

So, this weekend I rolled up my shirtsleeves and got down to business. And what do you know - it actually worked for me too!

On first analysis the difference between times 1 & 2, and successful time 3 is that I didn't measure the ingredients this time around. I am sure there is something terribly profound there, but lets not depart on a tangent.

The point being that I managed to have a modest success in the kitchen. I shall remember this, for probably about Christmas time, when I'll be struggling with something else.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?