<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 11, 2004

9/11

The midnight hour has come, and it is now September 11th on this side of the pond I guess it's time to address this issue. Uncivil Litigator writes "In the 3 years since September 11, 2001, I've searched in vain for any form of art or language that could capture my feelings about what happened that day." He also writes "I have many friends in many other countries around the world, and I think it is fair to say that the rest of the world does not understand how we Americans feel about this event. I don't intend that as a political statement and I hope the international visitors reading this don't interpret it as one. "

I agree with both those statements. Taking the second first, of course no non-American can really deep-down understand what 9/11 means to America. Certainly Americans were not the only casualties on 9/11, but it was America that was specifically attacked, that suffered the greatest loss.

I like to think that I know more about America than most people in the UK. I like to think I can sense something about what 9/11 means to most Americans. I like to think that is true, but if it is, then that is all I can do.

As for words to remember, the only words that I come up close were written by Laurence Binyon, on September 21st 1914, in a poem entitled "For the Fallen". One verse in particular is repeated up and down Britain on Remembrance Day, traditionally read by a veteren. I can think of nothing else appropriate.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.


For my part, I will remember them. Tonight, and through tomorrow, my thoughts and prayers are with America, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?