<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 16, 2004

Weather

It is a British obsession to talk about the weather, and of course there has been a fair amount of weather going on recently to talk about. Hurricane Charley aside however, I have just noticed this story over at the BBC, where the river Camel in Cornwall burst its banks causing a flash flood, a rather severe one given that the river is nothing much. Of course, what really drew my interest is that area is where I grew up. The River Camel passed within a mile of a place where I lived for 5 years or so, and though the focus of this flood was further downstream, these are places I know very well. Inevitably this makes it more real and urgent to me than the far more serious goings on in Charley's wake.

Of course this is not the first time it has happened. A number of years ago a similar flash flood happened in the little coastal town - village really - of Polperro. Something like this happens once a decade. Enough to remember, but never enough to think of as something real, to be prepared for. I have also heard similar things being said comparing Charley and Andrew.

I don't think I have a real point here - just meandering thoughts of a similarity of situation despite the vast difference of scale.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?