<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Supreme Court decision

In Republic of Austria v. Altmann the US Supreme Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that foreign governments can be sued in US courts for human rights violations. I noticed this decision this morning in this FT article, and then this lunch-time quickly popped over to SCOTUS Blog's entry on the decision.

I am not entirely certain about the details of the case yet, but I have one question. If a soveriegn government does not recognise the right of the US court, what happens? Nasty word, sovereign. Means all sorts of things, most of which I'm fairly willing to bet no one ever really thinks about.

Anyway, I hope to get around to reading more about the case later in the week.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?