<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 09, 2004

Most influential European

The FT is doing a poll of the most influential European of the past 25 years. The link is here.

An interesting bunch of names. At first I was split between Margaret Thatcher and Mikhail Gorbachev. Then I noticed Francois Mitterand, Jacques Delors, Helmut Kohl, and Vaclev Havel. What Pavoritti was doing in the list I do not know, but kudos to them for suggesting Stephen Hawking.

However, in the end my vote went for John Paul II.

But in any list like this, how is it really possible to aim for the single most superlative person in a constellation of so many stars. It is not, and therefore this poll, like all such polls, is basically without point.

On a similar vein I am yet to vote in Britain's Best Sitcom gala. Of all the ten short-listed there is only one that I query - the Vicar of Dibley. I do not personally like Only Fools and Horses, but that's just personal preference. My opinion is that Blackadder is superior, but that mostly rests on the last episode of series 4 (Goodbyeeee). Or, more accurately, for about the last 3 minutes of that episode. Watch the whole series, in order. Watch that episode. and then you will see where I am coming from.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?