<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Terminator 3 and Elite Foreces II

Well, they are the two reasons why I have not been blogging. As for the last (it is a Star Trek game), it was mildly fun, and I was not the person who shelled out the cash to buy it. On the former, loved it.

I know some people were disappointed by T3 (like the friend who I went to the cinema was). I wasn't, perhaps because I went in with fairly low expectations. I mean, you expect certain things from an Arnie film (explosions, more explosions, and what another friend described as "devastating wit"), and nothing more. For me then T3 more than adequately fulfilled my expectations. I was even impressed by the 'low-key' nature of the background to Judgement Day. There was no sense of doom. To paraphrase the Bible, Judgement Day comes like a theif in the night.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki

And in other news I recommend people read this article in the NY Times on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I basically stand by the author's point, except I would develop it further.

By 1945 human compassion was wearing seriously thin. Dresden could not have happened in 1940, or even in 1942. Those who say we should have conventinally bombed Japan into submission should ask themselves how many more Japanese would have died in the firestorms that would have resulted. Many many people died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but better have just those two cities, than the tens or hundreds of Dresdens that would have resulted.

1945 was a brutal world. It was all for the good that it ended when it did.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?